Tuesday, June 2, 2009

From Maggie M









Hello people back home! We have had a great trip. Absolutely life changing. I cannot believe that I have been given this amazing opportunity. There was one story that really impacted me from the orphanage. When we do the VBS, not just orphanage kids come. As we arrive at the gate, there is already a huge stampede behind the bus! It is incredible how many people, and not only kids, want to be with us. One of the girls that come in from the neighborhood is named Carolina. She has a daughter named Carol who is three months old. Carolina is fifteen. Fifteen! I guess that the reason that gave me chills is because I am not used the seeing things like that. She is amazing. She is delighted to let all of us hold Carol and feed her and change her. Carol is PRECIOUS. She does not cry or scream. It is incredible to see something like that because I can’t imagine having a baby next year. It is just so different and makes me realize that I live in this little hole called Mountain Brook. I can always feel safe and loved. But what is really hard to think about is that most of the world lives like Carolina and Carol and all of the kids at the orphanage. It breaks my heart. It also hurts me to think about asking for iPods and cell phones for Christmas while these people charge at us when we bring out a bag of candy. This trip has truly changed me and the way that I think of things. I pray that when I go back home, I will be less selfish and much more giving.
From Joelle: Tricia spoke to Carolina about the woman at the well, read it with Carolina, and talked to her about being a mother and caring for her child, and how Tricia was wrapped in the arms of the Lord (via the church) when John died in 2000. They also talked about a godly man who would protect, honor, serve his wife and what that would look like. Pray that God will raise up a godly man for Carolina.

No comments:

Post a Comment