Thursday, June 4, 2009

Our Haitian Americans! Photos on NOW



























The Haitian workers and our Haitian Americans!!!!!








If you have wondered if Dave T and Big Kevin C really came on the trip, as we have not had photos of them, well they did! They have been tirelessly working up on the top of the orphanage to provide Brad and his family a home. They and the two Haitian men labor hour after hour in the sun, with a cool breeze, overlooking the neighborhood with the pelicans next door, goats in the yard, chickens wondering around, every day life. The Haitian workers have been so patient. While the people were given clothes, the workers continued to work quietly. They did ask Kevin and Dave for clothing, as they have ninas and ninos. It has been glorious to see one of the kids almost empty out her own suitcase for the kids that are her size. Need to wear something back home, but to see one of our youth changed desiring to give away all to serve and love those around her! I am personally convicted that a lot of my giving is selective discarding. It is ugly to see my heart. I give out of excess and not sacrificially. I confess that I am having a hard time giving away the cheddar Chex Mix in my back pack. I had left it at the hotel, forgetting about it, as we always have food or can obtain food. When harry was telling us about Soto, I realized that I have extra food. And all of you know how much I love Cheddar Chex. I hoard it. I will share if have excess but really won’t if it is spare. It hurts to share it if plenty is not available. Wow. That is pretty ugly.

But the team members continue to teach me. The girl who has almost cleaned out her suitcase but her dirty underwear and what she will wear while here, the men who are going to wash out their pants and clothes to give to the workers. After seeing the Haitian villages yesterday, we see where they live, how they live, daily struggling to feed their families.

I hope I remember to upload the photos of the grease trap and the sewage system that they are building. Off the kitchen there is a 3x4 foot concrete grease trap with algae growing on it. The 800 lb concrete cover is over by the basketball court. It would probably take 8-10 strong men to carry the cover there. Dave and Kevin Construction Company are building a drainage system for the kitchen, as well as drainage pipes for the upstairs bathrooms.



You see in the photo above the "ladder" leading up to the roof with the PVC pipes to get water for the cistern. The Haitian workers are so appreciative of everything. They are so sweet. They speak Creole, which is a version of French, Spanish, African. Yyes, Mom and Dad, the thousands of dollars that you paid at Vanderbilt in the late 80s on several semesters of French are coming in handy. I can actually speak to them, along with Andrew R my seat buddy!).


You see here the men. They live near Eduardo, the builder, They have a skill, so they have been able to leave the impoverushed Haitian villages to provide for their families. Looking around the area, they probably live in a 10x10 foot house with sheet metal or wood for walls. They probably have a bed, couch and couple of chairs. One has a 5yr old girl and 2yr old boy. The other has a 6yr old girl and wife who will have a baby next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment