Tuesday, June 9, 2009

From John C ...... A Note from Jose Miguel














































































Over the 5 days we were at the orphanage, I became incredibly close to a certain boy named Jose Miguel. I played baseball, basketball, and frisbee with all the boys, but Jose really seemed to latch onto me. When I brought out a new glove and baseball, which was one of the many things Mrs. Phillips had graciously bought for all the orphans, he was so excited and couldn't believe that he could actually keep the glove and balls. I could tell that he felt so loved and never wanted to see any of us leave. The day we left the DR, my dad handed me a note saying it was from one of the orphan boys. I opened it and read it. The English was very broken, but this is what I could make of it:

Hello I know you are sad because you are going tomorrow. I'm sending this letter for you to know you have a Brother here and I'm going to pray to God for one day that you can come back, and you are my best friend. Remember to send me your phone number. Thank you for everything. And I want you to say to Michael, Ben, Andrew, and Caroline.

Ben- thank you for everything and you are my best friend. Richard says he will NEVER forget you.

Caroline- you are the most beautiful girl.

Andrew- I will always remember you my best friend. Today I am crying. Today I am sad.

Michael- Richi says you are his Brother.

Made by Jose Miguel

I was so touched by this letter. Jose also asked if I had a camera, when I said that I didn't, he ran into his house and brought me a wallet sized picture of himself. I will always keep this letter and that picture of him in my possession. I want nothing more to go back and see Jose and all the other boys. It was a life changing experience that I will never forget.
EXPLANATION OF PHOTOS:
- Jose Miguel playing with John
- Jose Miguel playing ball
- Jose Miguel talking with John under the gazebo
- Jose Miguel and Soto before baseball, with JM in the Yankees hat .... he LOVES the Yankees!
- JM fielding with the local Little League team at Colon's stadium

No comments:

Post a Comment