Thursday, June 11, 2009

Riches

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbAzM9L3KDc

The Rich
“Command those who are rich in this present age not to be haughty, nor to trust in uncertain riches but in the living God, who gives us richly all things to enjoy. Let them do good, that they may be rich in good works, ready to give, willing to share, storing up for themselves a good foundation for the time to come, that they may hold on eternal life.” I Timothy 6: 17-19
I love how God does nothing by accident or happenstance or luck. He is so detailed in His workings, if I can just open my eyes to it and weed out the distraction.
Like, our SS class talking about Money, Possessions and Eternity by Randy Alcorn for 2 weeks later this summer. Which led me to bring the book on the trip. The really good books are worth rereading, so 3 years later this is the second go round. Underlining, stars, circling litter the pages of what was striking then. Tom Saxon taught our class using this book prior to his leaving for Ukraine. It was quite impactful.
But there is nothing like listening to the Lord as He continues to be present in His Word.
While there, during the many early mornings spent with Jesus, the Scripture spoke to my heart, revealing sin. Revealing my selfishness, dependence on controlling our environment, materialism, stinginess, avarice. Sin in relationship, especially selfishness with my husband. And sin with what God has given us to steward. I have been treating Him as a financial consultant to whom I gladly pay a fee, but continue to see myself as owner. And out of the goodness of my heart, will bestow on others gifts, from me of course. Reading through a portion of the above book M,P, and E, specifically chapter 13, I had to stop and cry over my heart. My self-righteousness. And what He has given us. Lack of attention to details so that by laziness resources have slipped through my fingers instead of going to Kingdom causes. I am simply a steward. I am not the owner.
Again, God in His goodness, lived out these lessons in front of us. Like Soto literally taking the shirt off his back, a really cool Steelers jersey, to give to one of our boys who admired it. Soto giving me the music CDs he carries around. Harry not eating until everyone else has, and only if everyone else will have food. Harry giving the money set aside for rent, then waiting on Jesus to provide. Harry not ever wearing a watch as he is on Jesus time, but also because whenever he wears one, someone needs it so he gives it away. Then the blessing of giving away the meager valuables we carry with us, and receiving the blessing of giving, being so much richer than keeping!
So what now? That was an awesome week. And you are back.
My heart has clung to the security of this world, not fully trusting in His provision. But trusting in uncertain riches. These things are not in and of themselves bad, but my trust in them is. Like all the planning of our children’s future and the minutae I manage in that (the frenzy of activities not because God will use that in the child but because others are doing it). The idolatry of performance, like a child getting certain grades in school (instead of the focus on using the gift of intelligence and education to further the Kingdom). Self-indulgence. Too many clothing items, way beyond need. Holding onto items because they may be needed in the future. Hoarding possessions instead of using them to serve the Body. So it was no mistake that the reading in our devotion was Psalm 51.
“Have mercy upon me O God, according to your lovingkindness; the multitude of Your loving mercies; blot out my transgressions, wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse my from my sin. For I acknowledge my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. Against You, and only You, have I sinned. And done this evil in Your sight. That You may be found just when You speak, and blamesless when You judge.”
What a blessing to see every possession as His, to be used to serve the Kingdom. Not leftovers, or selective discarding, but firstfruits. As silly as this is it is the Cheddar Chex Mix that I am tempted to hoard but was a joy to give, the Pujols long-sleeve jersey (looking for one for someone else who liked it and still cannot find) that was admired, the Cubs Soriano t-shirt that I really love but was more a blessing worn on someone else. The child who gave away everything but her dirty clothes (and actually washed most of them in the sink while we were there to give), then came home to find she had no t-shirts to wear. Instead of the remark “I need more stuff because I gave mine away”, her remark was “And I am starting another pile to send to the kids.” The kid who gave away the shoes on his feet.
From Randy Alcorn, page 198 MPE, summary ….. when I still have it, I believe I own it. But when I give it away, I relinquish the control, power, prestige that come with wealth. At the moment of release the light comes on. I recognize God as owner, me as servant, others as intended beneficiaries of what God has entrusted to me. Giving does not strip me of my vested interest; rather, it shifts my vested interest from earth to heaven, from self to God.
All of us reading this on a computer, especially one we own, are rich. Lord, I pray that you will expose our sin of avarice, greed, possessiveness, selfishness. That you will turn our hearts towards you, the creator and owner of all things, to steward the resources in our hands for you for your saints and for the lost. You have told us repeatedly in Scripture that the poor will always be with us (Mark 14:7), that You secure justice for the poor and uphold the cause of the needy (Psalm 140:12). Let us turn to Your righteousness. Let us feast upon Your Word. May we hold onto eternal life and store up treasures in heaven Matthew 6:19-21). Amen and amen. Glorias a Dios!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H02sN8VODQ8&NR=1

No comments:

Post a Comment