Thursday, June 4, 2009

Wednesday: VBS and Haitian Villages















































































Thursday morning reflections
AM and I stayed up late last night writing, looking at photos on the computer, texting to John back home about the kids here. I really thought I would sleep in from waking up so early yesterday, but the ‘Jesus Alarm Clock” went off this morning ad dark:thirty, allowing me to get up and spend time in the word and prayer. The youth leaders are really so awesome. They wrote a devotion for us to spend time in while here and handed them out. This morning was Psalm 146. Read it if you have your Bible with you. As you go through your day, pray for your family and friends today, for the kids they will be with. God provides, He opens the eyes of the blind, He raises the humble, watches over the stranger (women in the Africa who left Africa and are here), He relieves the fatherless and widow. As I read God’s Word this morning, I feel like he penned that last night, just for us. Isn’t it amazing that with the Holy Spirit His Word is living? When He wrote that over 2,000 years ago, He knew that we would be here in DR, and that Psalm 146 would provide hope. We praise Him and lift our hands to the Heavens to our Father who provides Living Water, that our thirst reflects our desperate need for Him. That the filth in the world reflects the sin in our hearts and the filthy rags of righteousness we present to Him.

As we drove away from the first Haitian village yesterday, with the desperate endless need there and the crushed spirits of the people, there was a sense of despair in my heart. I have nothing to offer. I really don’t. I cannot fix that problem. I have the American, and self-sufficient , impulse to fix it, start directing, problem-solve. It is OK to want to help and problem-solve, but I cannot fix it. God can. He can raise up those who have His vision and call to know the people, raise up leaders within the community. The church here is doing that. I want it fixed before Friday. That is my sin. I know He has a plan for the people there, that He knows the hair on their heads and calls them by name. We cry out to Him to execute justice for them. To raise up brothers and sisters in Christ to lead and serve. I really don’t know where to put that, and pray that the Lord leads their pastor; that He teaches them His ways, and lives without reproach in front of them to show them how to be a man of God, a husband, a father.

Soto: Soto is one of our translators. He is in his early 40s, has four kids ages 18-24. He serves here in a radio ministry where he preaches the Gospel, talks to people in a radio call-in, leads people to Jesus as their Lord and Savior. Talk about selflessly and quietly serving the Lord not as unto men but to the Lord to receive his heavenly rewards! Read Col 3:22-24 now and you will see the work manual for harry and Soto and the women in the orphanage. Soto wore a Steelers football jersey, I don’t even remember who it was on it. One of the young men in our group complimented him on the shirt. At the end of the day, Soto literally took the shirt off his back and gave it to him. Yesterday he and I sat with women and men from the community talking about Jesus. He knows I enjoy music, so he took out of his bag two of his own CDs to give to me. Two Christian DR artists that he likes so we can enjoy it also. I am so thankful I brought this computer, as it has allowed not only sharing with you what is going on here, but to put his CDs on the computer so I can return them to him and he can share them with someone else. Soto is such a behind-the-scenes servant. Yesterday at the second Haitian village, he was directed to a girl in a wheelchair. He brought her to the church for her mother. There is no ADA here, so no sidewalks, no ramps. It is hard for the child to be moved. Soto. I love that one of us can just grab Soto and off we go to wherever the Lord leads us. He will go without food as he does not have it, but we did not know that until Harry told us that one of the days he went without all day, but Harry noticed so brought him to his home (with Pastor Evelyn and Pastor Johnny). They make sure that Soto eats. I pray that our young men on the trip see Soto serving, learning from the older and wiser men, sacrificing his needs to give to those around him. Selflessly serving and leading as husbands are directed to.

The little girl in the Haitian village appeared to have a congenital chromosomal disorder by her face, lack of muscle control, and cognitive development. What an incredible ray of sunshine. Her mother has cared for her so well, as she was clean, with excellent skin condition, sweet little dress on. I think our entire team was touched by her. Earthly evidence of God’s provision. Every time a team member would touch her or hold her hand, the girl smiled and said what sounded to us like “Hi”. That is a face and a memory that will be in my head forever.

I am hoping to put the sleeping bus photos online. Every day heads are bobbing. Kids are leaned all over each other. The bus has really been fun. I never thought I would asy that! Anyone who rode a bus as a kid may hate it like I do. We have 30 seats, 31 team members (Harry always stands in the “pulpit” of the steps!!!!) so I am often sharing a seat with a youth. The young men have been extremely generous (the Bens, Andrew, Michael) and I have treasured getting to sit with them and talk with them. What hope there is in the leaders and husbands and elders of tomorrow! They pray for our team, for the kids for the orphanage, for the neighborhood. I am so thankful to the parents who have sent their kids with us. It has been such a blessing to me and I have learned so much from them. It has been a joy to see them incorporate the younger youth. Also, Maddie P and Lauren R have become the leaders of some of the younger youth. It has been a joy to watch those relationships. And to watch the older girls like Peyton, Ashley, Owens, Leigh Ellen, Margaret Anne, Caroline to incorporate the younger girls. And to watch Emily B and Sarah serve and hang out with and dance and sing with all the kids. What a treasure for us adults!
























See the drawing that is the last photo. One of the boys, Ben McL, along with his brother, have bonded with a set of brothers. Ben drew a portrait of Richa and gave it to him yesterday. It is beautiful. Enjoy!






















Lauren R is twirling Jeffrey, JuJu's brother. Sweet play!

3 comments:

  1. Dear all,

    I just got the correct blog address and have spent the better part of the last 45 minutes catching up on the previous. Seems that our prayers that God would go before you all has happened, in spectactular ways! I am praying that this experience will cause someone(s) of you to "GO!"

    We'll continue to pray and you continue to minister and God WILL be glorified! Thank you for working in this way.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joelle, I cannot thank you enough for keeping us current. I am trying to figure out when you sleep, and I am praying for your strength as well as that for the others. We are excited about His work through all of you, what he has already brought about and what is to come. He is faithful! Our love to all. We cannot wait to see everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to sign my comment. It was me.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete